Breakfast Sausage Frittata
If you’re looking to add a healthy dose of protein to your morning meal, Frontière Natural Meats’ breakfast sausage is a sure-fire choice. The ground bison breakfast sausage and ground elk breakfast sausage are lean, flavorful and packed with protein — perfect for shaping into patties or crumbling into a quiche.
Speaking of quiche, there’s no better dish to impress guests for brunch — unless that dish is a frittata. Why? Because a frittata has almost the same visual appeal as a quiche but there’s no crust to tend with.
This makes frittatas more approachable and just as delicious. A few cracked eggs, a handful of veggies and a helping of ground sausage and you’re on your way to a beautifully prepared dish that’s savory and delicious. Best of all, you can whip up a frittata in a jiffy, whether you’re hosting a crowd or just need to feed the family on a weekend. We’ve even been known to cook frittatas for dinner now and again.
Frittatas are the kind of dish that don’t even need a recipe, just a ratio. We borrowed from The Kitchn for inspiration and listed out our process step by step below.
For this recipe, choose your favorite Frontière Natural Meats breakfast sausage. Try it with bison breakfast sausage, elk breakfast sausage, or a blend of both. Choose a combination of vegetables that you love, and top it all with your favorite cheese. Be sure to use an oven-safe pan that you can take from stove-top to oven. We love a solid cast-iron pan for this recipe.
Breakfast Sausage Frittata
Makes about 8 servings
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 lb Frontière Natural Meats All Natural Elk Breakfast Sausage or 1 lb Frontière Natural Meats All Natural Bison Breakfast Sausage
9 large eggs
3/8 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 cup mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 cup crumbled queso fresco
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, crack all 9 eggs. Add heavy whipping cream and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil. After about a minute, add the breakfast sausage, breaking up with a stiff wooden spatula. Brown the meat for about 10 minutes. Scoop meat from the skillet into a bowl and set aside.
- Add butter to the same skillet and allow to melt. Add the onions, peppers and sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Sauté until the mushrooms look golden and the onions look translucent, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper.
- While the vegetables cook, use a fork to crumble the queso fresco onto a cutting board and gather it into a cup. Set aside.
- Add the breakfast sausage back to the skillet and stir to combine the meat and vegetables. Then, pour the egg and cream mixture into the skillet over the vegetables, which should surround the meat and vegetables but not cover them completely. Sprinkle the queso fresco on top.
- Allow the frittata to cook on the stovetop for 5 minutes or until you can see the edges of the egg mixture begin to set and pull away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- Carefully slide the cast iron pan onto the center rack in the preheated oven. Cook for about 10 minutes. To check doneness, use a knife to cut a small slit in the center. If the egg mixture runs into the opening, continue cooking until set.
- Remove the frittata from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Serve in slices along with toast and a lightly dressed green salad.
Shop Natural Meat
Frontière Natural Meats’ Elk Breakfast Sausages is a delicious and lean addition to breakfast. We start with high quality protein and include only the finest ingredients – avoiding MSG, gluten, lactose, and preservatives like nitrates and nitrites.BUY OUR ELK SAUSAGE