Mushroom & Onion Blended Burgers
Ah, the burger. It’s the sign of summer, the star of the barbecue, and a palate-pleaser for carnivores the world over. When it comes to recipes, you can go super simple with meat, salt and pepper, or dress it up by mixing in everything from eggs and breadcrumbs to chopped bacon into the patties.
While we aren’t generally quick to turn down bacon, the latest trend in burgers is all about making them less meaty. But don’t worry; there’s a good reason for this, and it’s all about sustainability.
The movement is called the Blended Burger Project. Initiated by the James Beard Foundation, the goal is to make burgers more environmentally friendly, healthful and delicious by incorporating mushrooms into the mix. Why mushrooms? They’re a renewable crop, a great source of potassium, and a great way to add moisture, texture and umami flavor to your cooking.
Mix in some mushrooms with high-quality, all-natural, hormone-free meat, like what we offer at Frontière Natural Meats, and suddenly your burger becomes a powerhouse of nutrition that highlights how meat and vegetables can work together to produce something tasty, healthy and just plain magical.
Need more convincing? Just ask Stephanie Izard, a James Beard Award-winning restaurant owner and Iron Chef. “I’m not asking people to give up meat!” she says. “Instead I’m asking them to try blending some of that meat for a combination that tastes even better than the original.”
Ingredients (Makes four burgers)
1 pound of Frontière Natural Meats organic ground beef
1/2 pound of cremini mushrooms (or sub white mushrooms, baby bellas or your choice)
2 Tbsp olive oil, separated
¼ onion, finely diced (about 3 Tbsp)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
- Wash the mushrooms. Fill a bowl with water and gently scrub the mushrooms with your fingers to remove any dirt. Drain and dry gently with a towel.
- Pour half the mushrooms into food processor and pulse to dice. Remove to a bowl.
- In a large skillet, warm 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Scrape the diced mushrooms into the skillet. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In another large bowl, add the Frontière Natural Meats organic ground beef, spices, and salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, add cooled mushrooms and garlic to the meat. Mix with a spoon or your hands until just combined.
- Form four patties by using cupped hands and gently tossing the meat back and forth to shape into a ball. Place patties on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to a clean skillet, cast iron pan, or grill and heat over medium-high heat. Cook blended burger patties over medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until desired doneness.
We recommend serving on a fresh bun with romaine lettuce, tomato and a slice of your favorite cheese. Feeling fancy? Add a dollop of guacamole, fresh jalapenos or a fried egg!